Friday, May 20, 2011

Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure®




On May 7th I had the opportunity to walk a 5k with my family (and 16,000 other people).  It was amazing!  The power a group of people that big all fighting for one cause is heart warming!  Within moments we entered the crowd tears came to my eyes. There was a power at that city block that made me step back and realize how influential women are in every one's life.  

Everyone seemed to have team shirts showing there support.  I never would have guessed there were so many ways to play with the word Breasts.  There were many funny ones like: "Nascar Nockers", "Save the Shells", and "Big or small, we love them all".  There were also shirts that made us cry.  One particular shirt said "You walked with us for 19 years, now we walk for you".  There were many shirts that said "In Loving Memory" and then list names.  We saw one shirt that had 8 names listed, we just wanted to go give them a hug!   

This is the shirt I got to wear

 The Front
The Back

The DD is for my Aunt, Denise Defa, and she loves Betty Boop.  Last year she was diagnosed and survived Breast Cancer.  She is an amazing women who has touched many lives before this and will continue to touch many more.  This is one of the few pink shirts I have ever worn and I am proud to be on the DD Team!! 


  
The Burrell Girls with Our Survivor



My Favorite Shirt


Grandma Rinda, age 87, did the 
5k by wheelchair

Jacob showing his support


1,040 survivors were there

Can you see Aunt Denise 
on the Right?


























Quote of the Day:
"I'm so glad you survived!" 
 ~Debra Jo to Denise

No comments:

Post a Comment